Bipolar disorder is a very troubling condition that can cause a myriad of adverse behaviors. For example, many people with bipolar disorder abuse drugs and end up in a very alarming situation. Thankfully, understanding the common triggers of bipolar disorder may help many stave off cravings for drugs and alcohol, and cope with stress in healthier ways. Working through an addiction treatment program can help those suffering from underlying mental health issues understand what drives their negative moods, and can help people better cope with the stress of living with mental illness.
Bipolar Disorder and Drug Abuse are Tightly Connected
When discussing the common triggers of bipolar disorder, it is vital to understand how addiction and this condition are connected. People with bipolar disorder suffer from heavy mood swings that can be very hard to tolerate and difficult to predict. Unfortunately, these individuals may end up being drawn to drugs for a myriad of reasons, such as:
- Self-medication – Often, people with bipolar disorder use substances like alcohol to create a calmer state of mind
- Experimentation – During the mania of a bipolar episode, a person may find that they are drawn to experiment with more dangerous activities
- Depression management – Uppers may seem like an excellent way to manage the depression of bipolar disorder in some individuals
- Trigger management – Many people with bipolar disorder may be compelled to use drugs to control their triggering states or issues that cause their mood to change
The unpredictable natures of both drug addiction and bipolar disorder make them very dangerous co-occurring disorders. As a result, it is imperative to understand the common triggers of bipolar disorder. Knowing these triggers can help those with this condition better understand why they may be compelled to abuse drugs and how they can avoid this destructive behavior in themselves. By understanding the warning signs of a swing in moods, people with bipolar disorder are better prepared to reach out for necessary help. This can help people avoid using drugs and displaying other destructive behaviors, as they’re more inclined to reach out to a professional rather than take matters into their own hands.
Common Triggers of Bipolar Disorder
The causes of bipolar disorder are often mysterious and may change from one person to the next. However, it is often possible to figure out what causes one person to trigger by following their mood changes as their life alters. The following common triggers of bipolar disorder should help to give you an idea of what is causing your mood disturbances:
- Upsetting situations – Often, people with bipolar may trigger if something upsetting happens to them
- Excitable moments – Mania may be triggered in some with bipolar when something exciting happens
- Relationship issues – Those with bipolar disorder may react to relationship issues quite heavily
- Financial troubles – Bipolar disorder may cause some financial difficulties and trigger emotional changes
- Chemical imbalances – Changes in a person’s body chemistry may cause some bipolar symptoms
All of these problems are important to consider if you need drug rehab at any point. Talk to your treatment specialist about your triggers and what may cause them to give these experts the best chance of walking you back from addiction and bipolar disorder with dual-diagnosis care.
Recovery is Possible
If the common triggers of bipolar disorder seem like they could affect you, please don’t hesitate to call 877.432.0867 to reach out to us at Atlantic Recovery Center. Our professionals fully understand these triggers and will do what they can to help you. Our small and intimate facility is very caring and has a family-style approach that we know you will appreciate. So please verify your insurance to start today.