Depression has become a buzz word in contemporary society. One of the main reasons is that many still think depression is merely feeling sad. But major depression is a clinically proven condition that affects millions of individuals. Depression changes how a person feels, behaves, and can lead to serious emotional and physical problems.
Society must acknowledge that depression isn’t a case of the blues where those affected can simply snap out of it. Like other illnesses, it requires treatment. Atlantic Recovery Center offers various treatment programs that can help patients diagnosed with clinical depression.
Signs of Major Depression
Depression often goes untreated because people don’t even know that they are suffering from a diagnosable condition. Depression may also occur during different periods of an individual’s life. One must know the signs of depression to make it easier to get help. Feeling sad at times is normal, but depression is more than just an emotion.
If you suspect that you or your loved one is suffering from depression, seek help. Here are some of the signs that could help identify major depression:
- Lack of interest in activities that one previously found enjoyable
- Feelings of inadequacy, self-blame, guilt, and worthlessness
- Difficulty sleeping or insomnia
- Fatigue and a general loss of energy
- Having suicidal thoughts and trouble concentrating
- Drug and alcohol abuse
Depression is one of the most common mental health problems in today’s world. But many people still don’t accept or believe that they need treatment. Knowing the signs is one thing, and getting help is another. The key thing to remember is that there is always someone willing to listen and lend a helping hand.
Like many conditions, patients suffering from depression have no control over their emotions. Depression might also occur in episodes. An individual might appear happy one moment then sad the next.
But for patients suffering from major depression, the episodes of deep sadness can last from a few weeks to a couple of months. This is why it’s crucial to get professional help. At Atlantic Recovery Center, our staff will assess your condition and come up with a personalized depression treatment program.
Causes of Depression
Depression can affect anyone. Even people who generally seem happy might be hiding their true emotions. Once you experience an episode of clinical depression, you’re likely to have a subsequent episode. There is no specific cause of major depression. But some certain triggers or experiences might play a role in causing depression.
The risk factors that may predispose one to depression include:
- Environmental factors such as exposure to trauma, abuse, and neglect
- Genetic factors such as a family history of depression
- Chemical imbalances in the brain
- Social exclusion
- Painful life experiences such as the death of a loved one
Clinical depression is a treatable condition. The treatment plan will be dependent on the severity of your symptoms. In very severe cases, our staff will recommend a residential treatment program to address your specific needs.
Depression Treatment Programs at Atlantic Recovery Center
Our team of trained and licensed experts offers a variety of treatment programs to help you or your loved one recover. Some of these programs include:
- Intensive outpatient program: Finding the right balance between structure and freedom is the key to depression treatment. This program suits the needs of individuals who require treatment but continue living at home.
- Family therapy program: This program focuses on treating the patient to heal by rebuilding the broken family ties.
- Residential treatment program: This module allows patients to recover in a safe and serene environment. The staff will give you the best care and provide you with the best treatment during the duration of your stay.
- Dual diagnosis treatment program: Depression is one of the mental health conditions that people often try to conceal through drug abuse. This program focuses on treating patients for both conditions simultaneously.
Get Help for Depression Today at Atlantic Recovery Center
The most important thing to remember about major depression is that it is treatable. If you or your loved one are unsure about your mental health status, talk to one of our professionals. Our staff is always available to assist you. Contact Atlantic Recovery Center today at 1-866-824-5193 and let us give you the right treatment.