Atlantic Recovery Center offers multiple levels of care for those with alcohol and drug abuse disorders. When you come to us for help, we use a variety of treatments and programs to help you successfully return to a productive, happy life. Although you’ve probably heard of it and may have attended meetings, you might still be wondering, “What is 12 step treatment?”
Keep reading to learn the answer and how it impacts your recovery.
What Is 12 Step Treatment?
The founders of Alcoholics Anonymous created the 12 steps. Since then, these guidelines have provided a light in the dark to those with many kinds of addictions. Following a 12 step treatment program helps you not only find the strength to maintain your sobriety. It also allows you to help others on their journey to a drug-free life.
What is 12 step treatment? There are many examples, ranging from Narcotics Anonymous to groups aimed at compulsive behaviors.
The 12 Steps are based on spiritual principles, but many non-religious people find that it helps them immensely to work the steps. The language in the steps talks about the presence of a higher being. This encourages those in recovery to look outside themselves for a higher purpose in life. Many participants find their meeting of a higher power, whether that concept to them means God or their forgotten inner strength.
The 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous
Recovery is a lifelong process, and there’s no one right way to approach the 12 steps. As you participate in various programs and treatments at Atlantic Recovery Center, you learn what tools work best for you.
Most of our guests find that they grow in their recovery as they concentrate on each of the steps in turn. As you proceed with your recovery, both in a treatment center and back out in real life, you may find that you have to revisit various steps at some point.
Steps 1 to 3 are crucial and directly address the challenge of continuing your recovery. What is 12 step treatment? Perhaps the best way to understand the importance of the 12 steps is by studying them directly.
Adapted 12 Steps
- The first step admits that you are powerless over your addiction and that it has made life unmanageable.
- The second step involves accepting a higher power and relying on it for your recovery.
- The third step requires you to change your life and give it over to the care of God, as understood by each person.
- In step four, participants take a moral inventory of themselves.
- Step five involves great courage as you admit your wrongs to God, yourself, and at least one other person.
- Step six requires you to trust in the Higher Power to remove your defects.
- In step seven, you actively and humbly asked for the actual removal of those defects.
- Step eight includes making a list of family, friends, and strangers impacted by your addiction. You prepare yourself to make amends where possible.
- In step nine, you follow through and make amends to those listed in step 8.
- To continue your progress, step 10 asks you to maintain your personal inventory and promptly admit when you are wrong.
- In this advanced step, participants pray and meditate, strengthening their connection with God as they understand Him.
- Based on the spiritual awakening that comes with working the steps, those with substance abuse disorders use these principles to guide their lives.
Seek Residential Treatment at Atlantic Recovery Center
Are you seeking a residential treatment program to overcome substance abuse? Come to Atlantic Recovery Center in Davie, FL.
What is 12 step treatment? When you join us at our facility, you find your answer to that question. Let us provide customized treatment to help you maintain lasting recovery. Also, you get the benefit of our incredible staff. Our staff includes licensed therapists and people who have already gone through their journey to recovery.
Whether you choose an inpatient or outpatient treatment program, contact Atlantic Recovery Center today to get answers to all of your questions. Don’t keep life waiting. Your substance abuse disorder has been in control long enough. Now, it’s your turn to look at the future with hope and anticipation.
Atlantic Recovery Center can help you answer what is 12 step treatment to you. Call us at 1-866-824-5193 today.